It is with great pleasure that I introduce Andrew Thorp as our guest on this week’s Business N2K podcast. Andrew is a business speaker and trainer focusing primarily on effective communication skills within business.
Andrew recently launched SpeakEasy within the North West and it is proving hugely popular amongst the local business community. SpeakEasy is a forum for business leaders and owners to get together in a supportive and informal environment to practise delivering their business message and obtain valuable feedback in the process. I was lucky enough to attend a recent SpeakEasy event in Manchester to experience the benefits first-hand – it was a great and enlightening experience.
In this conversation, Andrew shares some tips and learning points on effectively communicating your business benefits and message including:
- the art of influencing and making an impact
- the importance of engaging listeners with your passion for your business proposition
- how to effectively use humour
- implementing changing ‘status’ to add impact and influence
- incorporating the 3 circles of influence
- introducing the Magic of 3
- essential tips for using slides (or the dreaded PowerPoint)
It is said that a US survey identified public speaking as the No.1 Fear held by people (death was ranked as a lowly second!). Yet with practise and perseverance in an encouraging atmosphere like SpeakEasy, many more business people should be able to tackle this vitally important (life as well as) business skill with confidence.
How you can listen to the BusinessN2K podcast:
- Subscribe by clicking on the Subscribe to Podcast icon in the side bar or subscribe via iTunes. This is the best way to listen as it will ensure that all future episodes are delivered directly to you as new episodes are released, or
- Click on the Blubrry player below to listen now:
Please leave your comments, feedback and suggestions for future shows in the comments section below.
Credits: Thanks to Andrew Thorp for this week’s show + music used in the BusinessN2K podcast is by Viba – In the Orchard lies a Secret – available as a free download and is released under a Creative Commons Licence